On Easter Sunday morning I joined millions of believers and
seekers around the world in celebration of the great good news of the
Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. With Charles Wesley we lifted our voices
to sing “Christ the Lord is risen today.” Whether with those traditional words
or in more contemporary language we all affirmed the core belief of our
Christian faith: that on the third day the stone was rolled away and Jesus was
raised from the dead. “In fact,” Paul wrote, “Christ has been raised from the
dead.” (1 Corinthians 15:20). Hallelujah!
Throughout the weeks leading up to Easter, I kept thinking
about and praying one of the great phrases that has been passed down through
many Christian faith traditions: the joy
of the Resurrection renews the whole world. In some traditions the past
tense of the verb is used, renewed,
reminding us of what happened on that first day of the week. I have come to
pray and ponder it in the present tense: renews.
The joy of the Resurrection is a present reality that continues to renew and
reshape all of creation.
John 20:19 introduces the account of the resurrected Jesus
appearing to the disciples for the first time. The news of the rolled-away
stone and the risen Jesus has been shared and one would think there would be
overwhelming joy and excitement. Instead we read that the disciples are huddled
together in a room behind locked doors, “for fear.” Thomas even chose not even
to show up, still overcome perhaps with grief. What’s going on here? Where is the
joy in response to God’s power conquering death and fear and uncertainty?
The phrase kept swirling through my mind and heart in the
days leading up to Easter as I watched, read, and listened to reports coming
from Brussels. I prayed for victims and for families and for the whole world
gripped with fear and uncertainty. It was more real to me as I remembered the
many trips I have made through the Brussels airport and could picture the
check-in counters and the waiting areas where I have stood. I even remembered
the trip that included “lost” luggage and a missed connection and hours that
turned into days stranded at that airport. Fear. Panic. Pain. Frustration.
The need for the whole world to be renewed is clearly
evident. Perfect love – God’s steadfast love – casts out fear. And the joy of
the Resurrection renews the world. What God did at Resurrection was to restore
hope and renew life when it felt as if darkness and the forces of evil had won.
We are entrusted with this news and cannot keep it bottled up inside the
church, behind apparently locked doors, just for the insiders. Our joy in the
Resurrection sends us out into the mission field that is as close to us as our
neighborhoods and communities. We are the joyful witnesses to God’s
transforming, resurrecting power – not living in fear but serving faithfully.
May the joy of the resurrection renew each one of you, each
of our churches and, indeed, the whole world. In the words of Charles Wesley,
“Soar we now where Christ has led /
Following our exalted Head
Made like him, like him we rise / Ours the cross, the grave, the skies, Alleluia!”
Made like him, like him we rise / Ours the cross, the grave, the skies, Alleluia!”

No comments:
Post a Comment