Recently I had the opportunity to meet with the confirmation
class at Myers Park UMC in Charlotte. More than 70 young people have been
meeting together, learning together, and serving together since last fall. In
preparation for an evening with the bishop they submitted a long list of very
good questions which indicated to me that they are taking their commitment to
follow Jesus seriously.
One of their questions was one I have been asked many times
over the last fifteen years since first being elected to serve God through this
office. “What do you miss most about not
being a pastor?” My first response is generally to note that I have never
stopped being a pastor except that now my appointment and my constituency is
much larger. I have learned and lived into the reality that John Wesley
highlighted: “the world is my parish” … literally! Never did I think that my
response to God’s call would take me to more countries than I could have
imagined, or to preach in more places with more translators and interpreters
than ever dreamed.
However I know the intent behind the question is really
about serving as pastor of a local church as opposed to this large and significant
ministry of superintending. As I shared with them, and have said often, what I
miss most is the opportunity to walk with one particular community of faith in
all the joys and challenges of life. Even more than that, I think, I miss
making the journey through high, holy seasons and days with a congregation:
Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week, and Easter.

As we enter Holy Week we are invited to retell the stories
recorded in the Gospels. The events from the Palm Sunday entry into Jerusalem
to the crucifixion and to the empty tomb capture the essence of God’s amazing love
extended to the whole world. Everything is turned upside down as a result.
Jesus enters the Temple and in a bold act repurposes and
reclaims the Temple to be “a house of prayer.” (Luke 19:46) A woman makes an
offering of everything she has in order to worship God (Mark 12:41-44); a woman
pours out “costly ointment” (her life savings) to anoint the feet of Jesus
(Mark 14:3-9), interestingly enough while Jesus is in the home of a leper. Jesus
draws attention to a fig tree to teach a lesson about watchfulness and
fruitfulness (Luke 21:29-33). He celebrates the Passover meal and goes out to
an olive garden to pray. In all these accounts, we are learning what it means
to follow Jesus not only for a few days of a week we call holy, but through all
of life.
I recall all of those churches I was privileged to serve
along the way and especially the moments when the holiness of this week broke
into my life and the lives of others: a Good Friday Tenebrae service as
darkness closed in around us; a Holy Thursday service of communion with 12
people at a time gathering around a make-shift table in an unfinished room during a
building expansion; a community-wide “seven last words from the cross” service;
and greeting the rising sun on Easter morning standing in the cemetery next to
the church building. He is alive! Hallelujah!
Yes, I miss moments like that. I enter this Holy Week with
the prayer that I might once again share in the obedience of Christ Jesus and in his
sacrificial love for the whole world. I pray that this week will bring a holy, redeeming
and transforming power deep in your souls and lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment